About This Product
Ancient and Medieval History provides thorough coverage of world history from prehistory through the mid-1500s, with special Topic Centers on key civilizations and regions, including the ancient Near East, Egypt, Greece, and Rome; ancient and medieval Africa, Asia, and the Americas; and medieval Europe and the Islamic World. Each civilization’s history is brought to life through tablet/mobile-friendly videos and slideshows, primary sources, maps and graphs, timelines, suggested readings, and suggested search terms. All the Infobase history databases in a collection are fully cross-searchable.
- Comprehensive Coverage: With Ancient and Medieval History, users can delve deep into their topics or examine different perspectives through event and topic entries, slideshows, primary sources, images, tablet/mobile-friendly videos, general and topic-specific timelines, biographies of key people, original maps and charts, and more.
- Easy Access to Content: Featured content in Ancient and Medieval History is handpicked by our editors to inform research and provide guided entryways into the database, plus convenient links to key areas are at the top of every page.
- Editorially Curated Topic Centers: Ancient and Medieval History features specially selected content—including articles, sharable slideshows, videos, primary sources, and more—that provides a study guide for a particular civilization. Topic Centers include Ancient and Medieval Africa: 5000 BCE–1500 CE, Ancient Egypt: 5000 BCE–650 CE, Ancient Near East: 4000 BCE–650 CE, Ancient Greece: 3300 BCE–30 BCE, Ancient and Medieval Asia: 3000 BCE–1600 CE, The Americas: 2000 BCE–1500 CE, Ancient Rome: 800 BCE–500 CE, Medieval Europe: 500 CE–1500 CE, and Islamic World: 570 CE–1500 CE.
- Primary Sources: Ancient and Medieval History includes thousands of primary sources, many with introductions that provide context and background.
- Featured Videos and Slideshows: Ancient and Medieval History’s videos and original slideshows provide a fascinating visual introduction to key topics and themes.
- Overview Essays: Ancient and Medieval History includes substantial and thorough overview essays giving extensive background on relevant historical topics and eras.
- Book Chapters: Chapters from authoritative print titles written by noted historians complement the thousands of biographies, definitions, and other resources Ancient and Medieval History provides. Book chapters allow for original thinking and are ideal for an in-depth study of a topic.
- Authoritative Source List: Ancient and Medieval History features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of expertly researched and written content in the database, including articles from a wealth of award-winning proprietary print titles, primary sources, images, videos, timelines, and a list of contributors to the database—information researchers can trust.
- Curriculum Tools: This section of Ancient and Medieval History features writing and research tips for students and educators, including:
- Advice on analyzing and understanding editorial cartoons, primary sources, and online sources
- Guides for presenting research, including avoiding plagiarism, citing sources, completing a primary source worksheet, summarizing articles, and writing research papers
- Educator tools, including advice on preventing plagiarism and using editorial cartoons in class.
- Full Cross-Searchability: Ancient and Medieval History is fully cross-searchable with any combination of the other Infobase History Research Center databases to which your institution subscribes.
- Universal Folder for all saved items across any Infobase History Research Center databases in your collection, plus enhanced Save-to-Folder functionality
- Search by Common Core, national, state, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, and College Board AP standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists that can be filtered by Topic Center
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- A detailed general timeline, updated monthly, plus civilization-specific timelines
- Maps and graphs with descriptions
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Persistent record links
- Search Assist technology
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat
- Google Translate for 100+ languages.