About This Product
Modern World History offers a comprehensive look at world history from the mid-15th century to the present. Thousands of subject entries, biographies, images, videos and slideshows, maps and graphs, primary sources, and timelines combine to provide a detailed and comparative view of the people, places, events, and ideas that have defined modern world history. Focused Topic Centers pull forward interesting entries, search terms, documents, and maps handpicked by our editors to help users find a starting point for their research, as well as videos and slideshow overviews to offer a visual introduction to key eras and regions. All the Infobase history databases in a collection are fully cross-searchable.
- Comprehensive Coverage: With Modern World History, users can delve deep into their topics or examine different perspectives through event and topic entries, slideshows, primary sources, images, tablet/mobile-friendly videos, general and topic-specific timelines, biographies of key people, original maps and charts, and more.
- Easy Access to Content: Featured content in Modern World History is handpicked by our editors to inform research and provide guided entryways into the database, plus convenient links to key areas are at the top of every page.
- Editorially Curated Topic Centers: Modern World History features specially selected content on different eras and themes of history—including articles, shareable slideshows, videos, primary sources, and more—that provides a starting point for research. Topic Centers include Africa, Asia and Oceania, Europe, Middle East, The Americas, The First Global Age: 1450–1770, An Age of Revolutions: 1750–1914, A Half Century of Crisis: 1900–1945, and Promises and Paradoxes: 1945–Present.
- Primary Sources: Modern World History includes thousands of primary sources, many with introductions that provide context and background.
- Featured Videos and Slideshows: Modern World History’s videos and original slideshows provide a fascinating visual introduction to key topics and themes.
- Controversies in History: Editorially selected pro/con articles on hundreds of controversies in history can be found in Modern World History, enabling researchers to grasp the essence and importance of every conflict and the reasons people debated them.
- Overview Essays: Modern World History includes substantial and thorough overview essays giving extensive background on relevant historical topics and eras.
- Book Chapters: Chapters from authoritative print titles written by noted historians complement the thousands of biographies, definitions, and other resources Modern World History provides. Book chapters allow for original thinking and are ideal for an in-depth study of a topic.
- Authoritative Source List: Modern World History features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of expertly researched and written content in the database, including articles from a wealth of award-winning proprietary print titles, primary sources, images, videos, timelines, and a list of contributors to the database—information researchers can trust.
- Curriculum Tools: This section of Modern World History features writing and research tips for students and educators, including:
- Advice on analyzing and understanding editorial cartoons, primary sources, and online sources
- Guides for presenting research, including avoiding plagiarism, citing sources, completing a primary source worksheet, summarizing articles, and writing research papers
- Educator tools, including advice on preventing plagiarism and using editorial cartoons in class.
- Full Cross-Searchability: Modern World History is fully cross-searchable with any combination of the other Infobase History Research Center databases to which your institution subscribes.
- Universal Folder for all saved items across any Infobase History Research Center databases in your collection, plus enhanced Save-to-Folder functionality
- Search by Common Core, national, state, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, and College Board AP standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists can be filtered by Topic Center
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- A detailed general timeline, updated monthly, plus regional and era-specific timelines
- Maps and graphs with descriptions
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Persistent record links
- Search Assist technology
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat
- Google Translate for 100+ languages.