About This Product
Polling the Nations is a critically acclaimed online database of public opinion polls containing the full text of more than 700,000 questions and responses from more than 18,000 surveys and 1,700 polling organizations, conducted from 1986 through the present in the United States and more than 100 other countries around the world.
Why Polls Are Important
Public opinion polls are a trusted measure of public sentiment and the only reliable way to determine what large numbers of people are thinking or doing, making them essential to any researcher.
A Vital Tool Across the Curriculum
For students, the information gained from polls is especially useful in pro/con discussions, debates, presentations, and reports; polling results can be used to add real-life, up-to-date information on subjects covering a wide range of topics. In addition, Polling the Nations is an outstanding resource for math and statistics courses that require students to be able to create graphs, as appropriate, to display data.
Polls Are Primary Sources
Clear and unbiased, Polling the Nations’ polls are excellent primary sources that encourage and facilitate critical thinking and learning. Having access to this direct, unfiltered information provides a fresh perspective that can be found in no other place.
The Most Comprehensive Resource
Polling the Nations’ sheer comprehensiveness makes it the best resource for polling data, having more surveys from more sources in more countries than any other resource anywhere. Plus, having more than 30 years of outstanding reference material makes it easy for researchers to track changing public opinions on topics over time.
Click here for more information about Polling the Nations.
- Definitive coverage: Polling the Nations features the full text of 18,000+ surveys and 700,000+ questions from more than 1,700 polling organizations from 1986 to today in the United States and more than 100 other countries—more nations than any other resource—plus an extensive index with more than 7,000 topics on politics, social issues, economics, and more.
- Clear organization: Each easy-to-read result page in Polling the Nations includes fields for the question asked as well as the poll’s source, date, results, universe (the geographic area covered by the survey, including nations, states, and regions), method, sample size, additional information, and source contact information.
- Authoritative sources: Polling the Nations provides surveys from the most respected polling organizations in the world, including Gallup, CNN, ABC/USA Today, CBS/New York Times, Fox News, NBC/Wall Street Journal, Quinnipiac, Brookings Institution, Marist Poll, and Pew Research Center, as well as from major universities, foundations, associations, and corporations.
- Easy to search and browse: Polling the Nations allows for targeted searches, with the option to limit searches using drop-down lists of topics, geographic areas, dates, sources, and more. Search History is also available.
- Create graphs for any question: Polling the Nations makes it easy for users to incorporate results, including graphs, into papers and presentations with the “Graph This Question” button on each record. Clicking the button exports the question to an Excel worksheet, where, by highlighting response categories and percentages, users are free to create pie charts, bar charts, and much more.
- Helpful articles and tools: Polling the Nations’ “All About Polling” section helps those new to polling data, explaining polling history, terminology, and techniques and challenges. “20 Questions a Journalist Should Ask About Poll Results” offers useful tips on how to distinguish scientific polls from unscientific polls—essential reading in this era of “fake news.”
- A range of topics: The timely, curricular topics polled include:
- Animal rights
- Celebrities and entertainment
- Climate change and environmental issues
- Crime and prisons
- Economics and finance
- Foreign affairs
- Gay rights
- Government and politics
- Gun control
- Health care reform
- Internet and media
- Legalizing marijuana
- Police and safety
- and many more.
- Updated regularly
- Top 10 Topics feature on home page, linking to the most frequently searched topics during the past week
- Print option in top bar
- “Export” allows users to collect the results of multiple polls and print, download, or email them in HTML or CSV format
- Valuable help materials.