About This Product
With a wealth of content and a dynamic design that facilitates STEM research and learning, the award-winning Science Online offers a comprehensive overview of a broad range of scientific disciplines. Topic Centers feature specially selected content on core science disciplines to help students find a starting point for their research, and students can also access the full, updated content of our unique science eLearning Modules, which target a variety of core topics. Plus, interactive science experiments that come with lesson objectives, data tables for findings, and analysis of expected results allow students to replicate the in-class laboratory experience in a safe and user-friendly environment.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Science Online contains a wealth of proprietary book and journal articles, images and videos, topic-specific timelines, tables and charts, and diagrams that provide a thorough grounding in all areas of the science curriculum.
- Topic Centers: Science Online includes specially selected content that composes a virtual study guide for the most researched scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, computer science, Earth science, environmental science, marine science, space and astronomy, and physics. Each Topic Center includes a series of editor-selected overview articles, suggested keyword searches, key videos and animations, printable experiments, diagrams, key tables and data, and a comprehensive topic timeline.
- eLearning Modules: Science Online features 10 science eLearning Modules—Biomes of the Earth, Cells, Energy and the Environment, Essential Chemistry, Genetics and Evolution, Global Warming, Green Technology, The Human Body: How It Works, Physics in Action, and The Plant World. Each eLearning Module provides an in-depth exploration of a core science subject with extensive sequential articles in a narrative format, key videos and animations, diagrams and images, and glossaries.
- Videos and Animations: Videos and animations that reinforce visual learning, stimulate interest, and provide convenient overviews and discussion starters. Science Online includes more than 4,000 video clips, many specifically produced for Science Online and not available anywhere else. All videos include full-text transcripts that are searchable and display right below the video player. They also include a record URL, closed captions, and run times.
- Experiments, Activities, and Interactives: Science Online also features more than 1,300 science experiments and activities—including interactive experiments that replicate the in-class laboratory experience in a safe and user-friendly environment. Experiments are indexed and filterable by grade range, subject category, participation level, supervision, and time required. Each includes colorful diagrams and illustrations, a list of materials required, a procedures section, analysis and findings, and safety precautions. Great for science fairs!
- Biographies: Science Online includes helpful lists of leading computer scientists, astrophysicists, inventors, engineers, environmentalists, women scientists, astronauts, and mathematicians. Each list includes dates of birth and death, a brief descriptor of the person’s achievements, and a link to relevant search results.
- Science in the News: Science Online contains a selection of featured articles from the award-winning Today’s Science, highlighting recent scientific events and discoveries. Also included in search results are science-related news articles from Reuters®, covering current science developments within the past five years.
- Authoritative Source List: Science Online features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of expertly researched and written content in the database, including articles from a wealth of award-winning proprietary print titles, images, videos, timelines, and a list of contributors to the database—information researchers can trust.
- Resource Centers with extensive A-to-Z lists that can be filtered by topic
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- Curriculum tools and sources index
- Searchable timelines by subject and era, updated monthly
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Search by Common Core, state, national, International Baccalaureate Organization, College Board AP, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards to find correlating articles
- Conversion calculator
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, APA, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- List of contributors to the database
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Search Assist technology
- Persistent record links
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.