About This Product
With a dynamic new design, new and updated content, and exciting new features, The World Almanac® for Kids is the ideal one-stop reference resource for intermediate-level students. Three brand-new modules—Technology Today, America’s National Parks, and Symbols of American Freedom—have just been added, along with more than 50 new interactive games, more than 100 new videos, and many other enhancements. Plus, the convenient new search filters make it even easier for students and teachers to find the content they need most.
Erasing the line between homework support and fun exploration, The World Almanac® for Kids includes exclusive online-only material as well as content from award-winning The World Almanac®, Chelsea House, and Facts On File sets and series. Each topic area provides resources for homework, reports, and projects, and kids can explore age-appropriate subjects while developing online research skills with a trusted content source.
- Acclaimed reference content, including online-only material and content from Infobase titles
- Engaging, fun entries on age-appropriate topics, plus special daily features
- Excellent resources for student reports and research, including:
- Extensive, up-to-date articles
- Tablet/mobile-friendly videos to support the content in areas including biographies, geography, health & guidance, language arts, life science, math, physical science, social studies, sports, and the arts
- Games—including interactive worksheets, “Test Your Knowledge” quizzes, crossword puzzles, word searches, and more—on topics including biographies, health & guidance, language arts, life science, math, physical science, and social studies
- Science projects in fields such as Earth science, the environment, general science, life science, and physical science, plus projects for students with disabilities
- Fun Facts articles, maps, flags, and more
- Homework Help, including study tips; writing help; reference guides on using a dictionary, thesaurus, timeline, and map; math help; videos; and more
- Teacher Resources, including lesson plans, a link to search by educational standards, graphic organizers that help with any lesson, outline maps, printable handouts, science diagrams, and an interactive, SMART Board-friendly Trivia Challenge that can be used in class to enrich lessons across the curriculum or as an engaging introduction to new topics. Each lesson plan includes:
- Learning objectives, including an Essential Question teachers can use to introduce lessons
- Important vocabulary—great for previewing terms to enhance comprehension of new topics
- Ideas and themes summarizing the lesson for the teacher
- Printable handouts, including links to lesson support materials, homework, or in-class work
- Critical-thinking and assessment activities, including additional in-class and follow-up “after-reading” activities
- Understanding Art: An overview of art—from painting and sculpture to architecture, installation, and performance art—covering what art is, major art movements from prehistoric art to Pop Art, and the ways art intersects with social and cultural influences. Hundreds of full-color images of famous pieces of art; videos on art, art history, and painting and drawing techniques; and links to biographies of famous artists enhance the accessible articles. A timeline, glossaries, and Fun Facts articles round out this unique unit.
Biographies, including both bullet biographies and more than 700 book-length biographies, in the following professional categories:
- Artists, Architects & Designers: Highlights movers and shakers in the arts, including architecture and fashion design.
- Athletes: Highlights well-known and notable athletes in baseball, basketball, boxing and martial arts, cricket, football, golf, gymnastics, hockey, racecar driving, ice skating, skiing, snowboarding, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling.
- Entertainers: Highlights major personalities in entertainment, including actors and directors, dancers, media personalities, singers and musicians.
- Explorers, Astronauts & Adventurers: Highlights courageous and well-known adventurers, astronauts, and explorers.
- Leaders of America: Highlights major personalities from American history and current events, including Supreme Court justices, first ladies, leaders of the American Revolution and Civil War era, Native American leaders, historical and political figures, modern military leaders, civil rights leaders, business leaders and philanthropists, and social leaders and activists.
- Multicultural: Highlights notable Black Americans, Asian Americans, and Hispanic Americans.
- Scientists, Inventors & Mathematicians: Highlights influential scientists, inventors, and mathematicians.
- U.S. Presidents: Biographical information on all 45 presidents, from George Washington to Donald Trump. Fun Facts articles include information on the first ladies, as well as trivia about the presidency; users can also take an interactive quiz on the presidents.
- World Leaders: Highlights global giants from around the world, including ancient world leaders, business leaders and philanthropists, military leaders, modern world leaders, and social leaders and activists.
- Writers, Poets & Journalists: Highlights groundbreaking and popular authors from throughout history, from Geoffrey Chaucer to Toni Morrison.
- America’s National Parks: Details on the United States’ most treasured national parks, including their history, geography and geology, key features, flora and fauna, and facts and figures about each park as it is today as well as tips for planning a visit. Includes Fun Facts articles, videos, links to bullet biographies of key people, and a brief history of the National Park Service.
- Canadian Provinces and Territories: Details on the history, culture, geography, and economy of each province or territory. Also includes places of interest, famous people, Fun Facts articles, elevation and outline maps, flags, and coats of arms.
- Countries of the World: More than 190 nations, with Fun Facts articles and profiles covering population, industries, major cities, geography, and more—plus a brief history of the nation, videos, maps, flags, and images.
- The 50 States: Details and Fun Facts articles on all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, including profiles with valuable information on population, climate, and more; local history; landmarks; and famous personalities, plus maps, flags, and symbols for reports.
Health & Guidance:
- Career Ideas: More than 175 careers and jobs in 12 key categories. Includes career overviews, profiles of real-life professionals, and resources to explore potential careers, plus videos and Fun Facts articles.
- Character Matters: Timely, straightforward articles and videos on being fair and honest, dealing with bullying, handling peer pressure, teamwork and respect, managing responsibilities, dealing with frustration and anger, and managing conflict resolution. Includes Fun Facts articles, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies of key people.
- Healthy Eating: Informative videos and important facts about how and what we should eat, including basic nutrition, weight management, nutrition for sports and exercise, eating disorders, and food safety and disease prevention, plus games, puzzles, links to bullet biographies of key people, and food-related Fun Facts articles.
- Reader’s Corner: Biographies of popular authors and profiles of their most popular books—plus Fun Facts and lists of recommended books in particular genres, best-sellers, ALA recommendations, and prestigious award winners. The perfect section for a budding bookworm.
- Writer’s Corner: Clear, concise entries, many with images and diagrams, explaining the often confusing rules of grammar, punctuation, and writing. Fun Facts articles offer interesting tidbits of information about the English language, plus a punctuation quiz and videos with writing tips.
- Animal Behavior: Articles on different aspects of animal behavior, including animal communication, courtship, defenses, hunting and feeding, life in groups, and migration, plus Fun Facts articles, games and puzzles, and links to biographies of key people.
- Biomes: Fascinating articles covering geography, geology, flora and fauna, and the future of six different types of biomes found on Earth—deserts, freshwater biomes, marine biomes, forests, grasslands, and tundra—with Fun Facts articles, videos, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies of key people.
- Birds: Articles, videos, Fun Facts, and games and puzzles on dozens of birds from African gray parrots to willow ptarmigans. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, and hunting behavior.
- Fish & Aquatic Life: Articles, videos, Fun Facts, and games and puzzles on dozens of fish and aquatic animals from anchovies to whale sharks. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, hunting, endangered species status, and family tree charts.
- Human Body: Clearly labeled diagrams, photographs, and accessible text providing an essential introduction to the human body. Includes information about the body systems and the five senses, plus Fun Facts articles, videos, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies of key people in medicine.
- Insects, Spiders & Worms: Articles, videos, Fun Facts, and games and puzzles on a variety of insects, spiders, and worms. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, and hunting behavior.
- Mammals: Articles, videos, Fun Facts, and games and puzzles on dozens of mammals from aardvarks to zebras. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, hunting, endangered species status, and family tree charts.
- Plants: Easy-to-understand information, along with colorful images, on all things botanical in this section. Features games and puzzles, Fun Facts articles on all manner of plants, and links to bullet biographies of famous researchers in botany.
- Reptiles & Amphibians: Articles, videos, Fun Facts, and games and puzzles on dozens of reptiles and amphibians from adders to yellow-spotted river turtles. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, hunting, endangered species status, and family tree charts.
- Math Corner: Informative articles, student worksheets, videos, Fun Facts, and games designed to help students practice core math skills, covering the number system, ratios and proportional relationships, expressions and equations, geometry, and statistics and probability. Includes bullet biographies of key mathematicians.
- Energy Today: Informative articles covering different types of energy, the science behind them, and their environmental impact. Includes information on coal, oil and natural gas; biofuels; wind power; water power; solar power; nuclear power; geothermal energy; and hydrogen fuel. Plus, Fun Facts articles, videos, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies of key people.
- Exploring Space: Fascinating articles that take students on a virtual journey to outer space, documenting the history of major space exploration—including the Mercury Program, the Gemini Program, and the famous Apollo Program—and providing facts and figures about the International Space Station, NASA’s search for life in space, and other human spaceflight feats. It also discusses how the universe began, stars, constellations, galaxies beyond ours, and black holes. Fun Facts articles, videos, interactives, and links to bullet biographies of key people round out this up-to-date module.
- Our Planet Earth: Illuminating articles explaining how the Earth formed, rocks and minerals, fossils, erosion and weathering, earthquakes, volcanoes, and much more. Detailed illustrations, photographs, Fun Facts articles, videos, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies help explain the science.
- Our Solar System: In-depth content on the sun and all the planets in our solar system, including Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and the dwarf planets including Pluto. Additional coverage includes phenomena like asteroids, meteors, and comets. With games and puzzles, Fun Facts articles, videos, and bullet biographies of key people, this module is perfect for studying our own solar system and the planets around us.
- Technology Today: Covers in easy-to-follow language the rise of technology from the 1700s to today; technology as we know it, including the internet, cell phones, computer animation, 3D printing, and other technologies; life in the digital age; and mobile applications in everyday life, plus Fun Facts articles, videos, and biographies of key people in technology.
- Weather & Climate: In-depth articles covering atmosphere; weather; moisture, clouds, and rain; and climate and climate change, plus important information on how weather forms and major weather events such as thunderstorms, tornadoes, and hurricanes. Fun Facts articles, videos, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies help students understand these important topics.
- American History: Overviews of specific time periods backed up by detailed articles, as well as maps and photographs, Fun Facts articles, videos, games and puzzles, and links to bullet biographies, giving a well-rounded view of the country’s key moments and figures.
- Ancient Civilizations: Articles, images, maps, links to bullet biographies, games and puzzles, and Fun Facts articles providing accessible introductions to ancient Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, and other ancient cultures, including the history, major leaders, lifestyle, religion, and legacy of each civilization.
- Holidays & Celebrations: Detailed information on the backgrounds, customs, and traditions of the world’s holidays and celebrations, from religious observances to independence days, organized by holiday and region. Includes holiday-related Fun Facts articles and glossaries.
- Primary U.S. Sources: A collection of founding documents, historic letters and proclamations, famous speeches, Supreme Court cases, and songs and sayings that have shaped American history, with related Fun Facts articles, videos, and links to bullet biographies—a great resource for researchers or students who are required to use primary source documents in support of their studies.
- Symbols of American Freedom: Describes the history of some of America’s most historically important landmarks—including Ellis Island, Fort McHenry, Independence Hall, Mount Rushmore, the Alamo, the Gateway Arch, the Gettysburg Battlefield, the Lincoln Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, and the Washington Monument—as well as what it’s like to visit them today, with glossaries, Fun Facts articles, videos, and bullet biographies of key people.
- U.S. Government: Informative articles, images, videos, games and puzzles, links to bullet biographies, and Fun Facts articles about the three branches of government, the Constitution, political parties, and citizenship and civic responsibilities.
- World History: Thorough overviews of specific time periods from prehistory to the present, linking to descriptions of milestone events in world history. Includes Fun Facts articles, videos, and games and puzzles.
- Sports Statistics: Baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and soccer—find historical stats, sports trivia, Fun Facts articles, images, and videos. It also features highlights and statistics from the summer and winter Olympic Games, including gold medalists in all categories.
- New content added regularly
- Saved Items Folder
- Fun Facts articles
- Images and tablet/mobile-friendly videos
- Interactive “Did You Know?” feature on the home page, with facts to engage students and a “Learn More” link to encourage exploration
- Daily featured article
- This Month’s Birthdays
- Maps and flags
- Games, puzzles, worksheets, quizzes, and other interactives
- Correlated to Common Core, state, national, provincial, IB Organization, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards
- Share content to Google Classroom
- Google Sign-In, allowing users to easily access content with their Google credentials
- Embed code feature for adding The World Almanac® for Kids content to any HTML page or Learning Management System
- Read Aloud tool
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Search Assist technology and age-appropriate search results
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA8, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib, NoodleTools, and RefWorks export functionality
- Searchable Support Center with live help chat