Praise for the previous editions:
“For the most information in one source, The World Almanac® remains the champion.” —American Library Association
“The World Almanac® is the most useful reference book known to modern man.”—Los Angeles Times
“The most versatile single volume, and probably the biggest bargain on the shelf.”—Esquire
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts is America’s top-selling reference book of all time, with more than 80 million copies sold. Published annually since 1868, this compendium of information is the source for all your entertainment, reference, and learning needs. Praised as a “treasure trove of political, economic, scientific and educational statistics and information” by The Wall Street Journal, The World Almanac® contains thousands of facts that are unavailable publicly elsewhere—in fact, it has been featured as a category on Jeopardy! and is routinely used as a go-to general study guide for aspiring game show contestants. Teachers can also use this fascinating reference to teach skimming and scanning techniques. The 2010 edition of The World Almanac® and Book of Facts will answer all your trivia questions—from history and sports to geography, pop culture, and much more.
- 2009 Time Capsule – The World Almanac® lists the 10 items that most came to symbolize the year 2009, from the serious (a $4,500 “cash-for-clunkers” voucher) to the silly (Jon and Kate’s divorce papers).
- The Bush Legacy — President George W. Bush’s time in office has ended, but his administration’s influence is still felt in policy in the U.S. and around the world. The World Almanac® offers a concise survey of the most dramatic changes that came about during his tenure that continue to affect the economy, health care, the judicial system, scientific research, environmental policy, education, and much more. Includes a review of major Bush-era policies and regulations overturned in President Obama’s first months in office—and the ones that weren’t.
- Swine Flu Coverage — Based on the latest scientific and epidemiological information available, The World Almanac® gives you the essential facts about the swine flu outbreak of 2009, what to expect from the coming flu season, how to protect yourself, and how this new virus compares with past epidemics.
- Decade in Review — Year by year, The World Almanac® highlights the big events, forgotten favorites, and lasting trends that came and went over the past 10 years, from pop culture to politics, and from science to sports.
- U.S. Colleges and Universities — Back by popular demand, The World Almanac® has updated its popular compilation of statistics on public and private U.S. colleges and universities—an indispensable tool for college-bound students and their families. Complete with student enrollment, tuition costs, and room and board information on thousands of schools.
- Population Statistics for Cities over 10,000 People — Also back by popular demand, this unique compilation of essential population statistics, area codes, and ZIP codes for thousands of places in the U.S., is newly revised and updated with the latest census data.
- The World at a Glance — Fully revised and updated, this annual feature highlights surprising stats and curious facts that define the changing world today.
- Offbeat News Stories —The World Almanac® editors found some of the wackiest news stories of the year that are not only hilarious, but true! Find out which country requires its astronauts to be scar-less and cavity-free, and read about the scientific study that attempted to prove whether dogs are smarter than cats.
- World Series Results — Relive the 2009 World Series play-by-play and game-by-game. With 2009 individual batting and pitching statistics to give baseball junkies a jump-start on next year’s fantasy baseball draft.
- Year in Pictures — Striking images from around the world in 2009, covering news, pop culture, and sports. In full color!
- The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2010 10-pack paperback classroom set (ISBN: 978-1-60057-129-9. List price: $129.90)
- The World Almanac® and Book of Facts Standing Order Plans
- Teacher Resources (available for free at www.worldalmanac.com)
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2010
ISBN: 978-1-60057-126-8. Hardcover. List price: $34.95.
Black-and-white photographs. Three full-color inserts.
World Almanac®, an imprint of Infobase Publishing.