About This Product
From America to Zimbabwe, from the ancient world to the present day, our collection of thousands of history titles brings to life the time and place your students are studying. This unparalleled collection of documentaries, educational videos, interviews, speeches, and newsreels can be put to work in countless ways.
This collection is available as a single-subject collection or as part of the Films On Demand Master Academic Video Package.
- Ken Burns’s award-winning documentaries and series, including The Civil War; Jazz; The War; The Roosevelts: An Intimate History; Prohibition; Thomas Jefferson; The Vietnam War; The Dust Bowl; and others.
- Ancient Civilizations – a comprehensive seven-hour series.
- More than 40 titles from the award-winning Bill Moyers Collection including A Walk through the 20th Century (16+ hours); Buying the War (Emmy Award winner); LBJ’s Road to War; Abraham Lincoln Revealed; Report from Philadelphia; and others.
- California Newsreel titles on African-American history, including Goin’ to Chicago (a CINE Golden Eagle Award winner); Traces of the Trade: A Story from the Deep North; The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow; Hoxie: The First Stand; and more.
- The Silk Road: Where East Met West – the fascinating three-part story of the lucrative trade route which changed the course of civilization forever.
- The Sand Creek Massacre: Seven Hours That Changed American History – a winner of multiple film festival awards that introduces the 1864 massacre of a peaceful Cheyenne and Arapaho camp in a way that written accounts and dramatizations cannot.
- Twenty-six hours of PBS’s Empires series, including The Greeks: Crucible of Civilization; Egypt’s Golden Empire; The Roman Empire in the First Century; Martin Luther; and The Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance.
- Lost Kingdoms of Africa – a four-hour series that guides viewers on a tour of discovery through the birthplace of humanity, and speaks with elders, artisans, and archaeologists to learn what made Africa’s kingdoms great.
- Becoming American: The Chinese Experience – the six-hour series from Public Affairs Television.
- Hundreds of historic speeches and newsreels.
- Inside the Medieval Mind – a spellbinding four-hour series from the BBC that reveals the intellectual landscape of the Middle Ages in all its diversity, rigidity, ugliness, and beauty.
- Greetings from Grozny: Inside the Chechen Conflict – CINE Gold Eagle Award-winning documentary from the Wide Angle series that reveals the human face of the then-ongoing Chechen conflict.
- Counter Histories: Rock Hill – looks back to South Carolina in 1961 when African-American men who would become known as the Friendship 9 sat down at a lunch counter to protest for civil rights.
- More than 450 top-rated titles from A&E, including critically acclaimed series such as America: The Story of Us; Engineering an Empire; Year by Year: 1929–1967; The Presidents; America: Promised Land; Roots; Blood and Glory: The Civil War in Color; Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire; and more.
This collection is a flexible, essential tool for any history department. All titles are segmented into short, pedagogical clips, ideal for intermittent use during classroom lectures. For classwork viewing, students can choose to watch an entire film without interruption. Titles within the collection are sorted across distinct, browsable subject categories, enabling refined searches for available titles in specific topic areas.
- Unlimited access from your computer/laptop, tablet, or phone—on campus or off
- Create and share playlists—use premade clips, full videos, or custom segments to engage students
- Add a personalized video introduction to any playlist you create
- Upload the proprietary digital video content you already own and use (like lectures, seminars, etc.) to the platform
- Captions, interactive transcripts, citations, Google Translate, and more
- New videos added at no additional cost
- Videos can be easily added to LibGuides, distance education courses, social media platforms, and LMSs such as D2L, Canvas, Moodle, and others
- Public performance rights and no copyright infringement
- Keyword tags for all content, linking to related material