About This Product
Ethics and morality. Logic and faith. The meaning of life and the afterlife. This wide-ranging collection covers the fundamental concepts of reality, epistemology, and value as well as the contrasting narratives, rituals, and beliefs of the world’s religions. From Aristotle to Zarathustra, atheism to Zen, these videos are certain to enlighten, challenge, and spark discussion.
- Great Ideas of Philosophy I and II – ten hours in total, these critically acclaimed series from Films for the Humanities & Sciences investigate the core questions and concepts of philosophy—from ethics to aesthetics, metaphysics, logic, reason, and beyond.
- Genius of the Modern World – Karl Marx, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Sigmund Freud—this three-part series discovers how these skeptical “masters of suspicion” created groundbreaking, penetrating ways of seeing the world that still shape how we make sense of our lives today.
- Two Thousand Years: The History of Christianity – hosted by acclaimed writer Melvyn Bragg, this classic ten-part series charts the story of Christianity from its very beginnings to the second millennial anniversary of the birth of Jesus.
- Great Philosophers – a 15-part series from the BBC that presents a comprehensive introduction to the concepts of Western philosophy through 15 of its greatest thinkers, presented by world-renowned philosophy scholar Bryan Magee.
- Questioning Darwin – this HBO documentary takes an in-depth look at the views of creationist Christians, who reject Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, while also examining how Darwin handled the question of God as he developed his theory of natural selection.
- Great Thinkers: In Their Own Words – a three-hour series that looks at important thinkers of the 20th century—the new breed of social philosophers who were able to spread novel ideas and shape the ethos of the modern age via the advent of radio and TV.
- Divine Women – a three-hour BBC series exploring the status of women in religion, from 10,000 BC to the contemporary era.
- Beyond Theology – an ambitious 10-part series featuring the insights and experiences of respected theologians, scholars, and authors as they discuss the emergence of worldviews that integrate scientific inquiry and spiritual insights, while exploring the convergence of a wide range of religious traditions.
- Genius of the Ancient World – examines the three giants of ancient philosophy: the Buddha, Socrates, and Confucius. All lived in the 6th–5th centuries BC—a period of unprecedented and intense intellectual development.
- The Story of the Jews, with Simon Schama – an epic five-part PBS series exploring the extraordinary story of the Jewish experience from ancient times to the present day.
- Sufi Soul: The Mystical Music of Islam – a personal journey into the traditions of Sufi music in Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, India, and Morocco.
- The Holy Wars – from the medieval Crusaders to modern-day jihadists, this three-part series examines the historical relationship between militarism and strictly interpreted religion.
- Essentials of Faith – a seven-part series that exposes the internal arguments and core beliefs of the world’s major religions.
- The Life of Muhammad – three-part PBS series retraces the footsteps of the Prophet from his humble beginnings in Mecca to his struggles with accepting his Prophetic role.
All titles are segmented into short, pedagogical clips, ideal for intermittent use during classroom lectures. For classwork viewing, students can choose to watch an entire film without interruption. Titles within the collection are sorted across 19 distinct, browsable subject categories (e.g., Ethics, Ritual & Worship, Indigenous Religions, Philosophy Branches & Doctrines), enabling refined searches for available titles in specific topic areas.
- Conveniently segmented for lecture and in-class use
- Unlimited access from any location—on campus or off
- More than 950 hours of educational videos, lectures, and documentaries from top producers
- Custom Content Upload Option
- Captions, interactive transcripts, citations, Google Translate, and more
- New videos added at no additional cost
- Easily embed videos into Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, or other CMS
- Tablet, mobile, PC & Mac friendly
- Create and share personalized playlists using segments from multiple videos
- Add a personalized video introduction to any playlist you create
- Keyword tags for all content, linking to related material