About This Product
With a wealth of content and a dynamic design that facilitates STEM research and learning, the award-winning Science Online offers a comprehensive overview of a broad range of scientific disciplines. Topic Centers feature specially selected content on core science disciplines to help researchers find a starting point for their research. Users can also access the full, updated content of our unique science eLearning Modules, which target a variety of core topics and feature valuable Educator Support materials for seamless in-class integration.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Science Online contains a wealth of proprietary book and journal articles, images and videos, topic-specific timelines, tables and charts, and diagrams that provide a thorough grounding in all areas of the science curriculum.
- Topic Centers: Science Online includes specially selected content that composes a virtual study guide for the most researched scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, computer science, Earth science, environmental science, marine science, space and astronomy, and physics. Each Topic Center includes a series of editor-selected overview articles, suggested keyword searches, key videos and animations, printable experiments, diagrams, key tables and data, and a comprehensive topic timeline.
- eLearning Modules: Science Online features 10 science eLearning Modules—Biomes of the Earth, Cells, Energy and the Environment, Essential Chemistry, Genetics and Evolution, Global Warming, Green Technology, The Human Body: How It Works, Physics in Action, and The Plant World. eLearning Modules provide an in-depth exploration of a core science subject with extensive sequential articles in a narrative format, key videos and animations, diagrams and images, and glossaries. Educator support materials—including learning objectives, discussion questions, assessment questions with answer keys, and student-based projects—are also included.
- Videos and Animations: Videos and animations reinforce visual learning, stimulate interest, and provide convenient overviews and discussion starters. Science Online includes more than 4,000 video clips, many specifically produced for Science Online and not available anywhere else. All videos include full-text transcripts that are searchable and display right below the video player. They also include a record URL, closed captions, and run times.
- Biographies: Science Online includes helpful lists of leading computer scientists, astrophysicists, inventors, engineers, environmentalists, women scientists, astronauts, and mathematicians. Each list includes dates of birth and death, a brief descriptor of the person’s achievements, and a link to relevant search results.
- Science in the News: Science Online contains a selection of featured articles from the award-winning Today’s Science, highlighting recent scientific events and discoveries. Also included in search results are science-related news articles from Reuters®, covering current science developments within the past five years.
- Authoritative Source List: Science Online features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of expertly researched and written content in the database, including articles from a wealth of award-winning proprietary print titles, images, videos, timelines, and a list of contributors to the database—information researchers can trust.
- Resource Centers with extensive A-to-Z lists that can be filtered by topic
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- Educator and student tools, and sources index
- Searchable timelines by subject and era, updated monthly
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Conversion calculator
- Save content directly to Google Drive
- Single sign-on with Google or Microsoft
- Google Sign-In allows users to easily access content with their Google credentials
- A variety of integration options and partners, including Canvas and D2L (Desire2Learn)
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, APA, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- List of contributors to the database
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, and number of search results
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Search Assist technology
- Persistent record links
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.
W3 Silver Award
SIIA CODiE Awards Finalist, “Best Education Reference or Search Service” category
Webby Awards Official Honoree
“…a worthwhile resource…highly recommended…”
“…super-easy to navigate and covers a wide range of science topics…This resource should set a standard for those wishing to attract—and maintain—a steady user following.”
“…accessible and easy to use and students are likely to find research on this site fun and even interesting.”
American Reference Books Annual
“Science Online is an essential online resource for students taking science-related courses. This database offers our patrons a comprehensive, curriculum-focused overview of a broad range of scientific disciplines. Our students find the content is well organized and easy to search for their topics.”
Kwei-Feng Hsu, Director of Library Information and Technical Services, Wharton County Junior College