About This Product
An essential resource that serves both the reference and practical needs of your patrons, Health Reference Center includes comprehensive, in-depth coverage of body systems, current health issues, major diseases and conditions, treatments, and procedures, as well as health and nutrition information specific to men, women, children, teens, and seniors. The up-to-date information comes from hundreds of authoritative sources—information researchers can trust. Thirty-five Topic Centers highlight specially selected content to help users find a starting point for their studies, and numerous videos and collections of illustrations make it easy to find relevant visual media on the most frequently researched topics.
This important resource also helps improve decision-making skills, addresses social pressures and influences, and provides functional health knowledge that encourages users to practice healthy behaviors.
- Comprehensive coverage: Health Reference Center includes a wealth of articles, videos, and illustrations on diseases and timely health topics organized with an intuitive design that brings key content to the forefront.
- Editorially curated Topic Centers: Health Reference Center features specially selected content on key areas of health (including teen’s health, women’s health, men’s health, children’s health, and senior health), specific types of diseases and disorders (including autism spectrum disorders, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, infectious diseases, learning disabilities, neurological disorders, and obesity), and other reference topics. These comprehensive Topic Centers provide valuable study guides and entry points into the database.
- Suggested Research Topics: Each Topic Center in Health Reference Center includes handpicked selections showcasing the best resources for each topic—including in-depth overview essays—and providing guidance for research.
- Journal and reference articles: In Health Reference Center, users can find hundreds of thousands of articles from acclaimed, high-level sources, including thousands of scholarly journal articles from PubMed Central and reference articles from MedlinePlus covering more than 950 diseases and conditions.
- Daily health news videos: Health Reference Center includes a “Today’s Health” section featuring a new health news video five days a week from HealthDay TV to help users stay on top of the latest information.
- Videos and illustrations: Health Reference Center contains more than 5,000 informational video clips and more than 2,500 searchable color illustrations, many organized into convenient collections.
- Authoritative source list: Health Reference Center features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of expertly researched and written content in the database, including articles from a wealth of award-winning proprietary print titles, journal articles from PubMed Central, reference articles from MedlinePlus, images, and videos—information researchers can trust.
- Curriculum Tools: This section of Health Reference Center features writing and research tips for students and educators, including:
- Tips for students on topics including citing sources, evaluating online sources, research topics, avoiding plagiarism, and writing research papers.
- Educator tools, including advice on preventing plagiarism and an essay on the importance of health education in preventing disease.
- In-depth overview articles, giving extensive background on relevant topics
- Detailed information on healthy lifestyle choices, recognizing diseases, and seeking treatment
- Specific, relatable material for seniors, men, women, and teens
- Search by Common Core, state, national, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, College Board AP, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- Search Assist technology
- BMI calculator
- Conversion calculator
- Listing of various hotlines
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Read Aloud tool
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, and number of search results
- Dynamic citations in MLA, APA, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Persistent record links
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.