Groundbreaking Relaunch Coming Soon! Learn More:
Video: Q&A with the Editor: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center Relaunch
Live Webcast: Workplace Trends & Solutions with Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center
August 6 @ 3:00PM ET
Live Webcast: Coming Soon: The New & Improved Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center
August 12 @ 2:00PM ET
About This Product
The award-winning Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center is a comprehensive resource for career exploration and planning that allows users to quickly find the valuable career information they need, whether it’s industry and professions articles, school planning resources, or skills and career advice. Known for its unprecedented depth of coverage, this definitive career research database is organized into three main sections: through Industries and Careers, users can explore a multitude of industries, career fields, and professions; Plan Your Education helps users find the schools that fit them best; and Launch Your Career offers solid advice to help users perfect the skills that beget success. The material draws from a range of authoritative sources, including more than 1,200 articles from the six-volume Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance, 17th Edition. A “From Our Career Experts” section features regular blog posts with an archive of more than 2,400 posts.
- Industries and Careers: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center features expertly researched, reliable content on 140 industries and thousands of professions in areas such as agriculture, food, and natural resources; architecture and construction; arts, A/V technology, and communications; business, management, and administration; education and training; finance; government and public administration; health science; hospitality and tourism; human services; information technology; law, public safety, corrections, and security; manufacturing; marketing, sales, and service; science, technology, engineering, and mathematics; and transportation, distribution, and logistics.
- Plan Your Education: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center can help students find the schools that are the best fit—choose from undergraduate, graduate, nursing, and vocational and tech schools in the U.S. and Canada, and narrow your list by location, tuition, enrollment, sports, areas of study, campus housing, and a variety of other characteristics.
- Launch Your Career: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center offers expert advice on writing résumés and cover letters, interviewing, applying for apprenticeships and internships, professional etiquette, and other workplace topics. Users can download résumés and cover letters in Word and PDF formats to use as templates to build their own. A special section on networking features 12 articles, written by networking expert Miriam Salpeter, that discuss what networking is (and what it isn’t), how to identify and understand exactly who is in your network, how to manage your online presence and use social topics in a job search, how to make cold calls and handle follow-up, how to maintain and manage your network even after you have a job, and more.
- Essential Resources for Career Exploration and Skill Building: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center’s exclusive workplace skills development content can help students prepare for a career in any field and support academic success and general life skills.
- Career Advice Blog: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center features regular new blog posts “From Our Career Experts,” with an archive of more than 2,400 posts on topics such as job searching, workplace issues, interviewing, networking, résumés and cover letters, and salary and benefits.
- Career Interest Assessment: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center’s Career Interest Assessment quiz ranks users’ work interest areas and suggests related occupations and industries.
- Links to Outside Jobs and Internships: Find a job with Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center’s searchable, current, live job and internship postings. For students interested in pursuing an internship, Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center features a directory of more than 660 internship opportunities and programs, browsable by 21 industry and career field categories, plus articles with advice and information for seeking and applying for an internship and how to make sure an internship benefits your career plan.
- Videos: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center has more than 540 tablet/mobile-friendly videos and clips covering jobs, industries, and career development skills. The “Career Q&A: Professional Advice and Insight” videos let users get a no-nonsense insider’s perspective from working professionals across multiple industries, including actors, dentists, fashion designers, Internet security specialists, special education teachers, and more. The Career Tips video series offers concise, timely advice on job-search techniques and career skills such as writing better résumés and cover letters, networking, interviewing, and advancing your career.
- Authoritative Source List: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center features a complete inventory of the extraordinary amount of content in the database, including titles from Ferguson’s renowned Careers in Focus series and the Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance, 17th ed.
- Advice from nationally renowned author and career expert Sue Morem
- “My Life” interviews with professionals, giving a firsthand perspective on unusual jobs
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago formats
- A variety of integration options and partners
- Option to add school logo/name to the top of each page
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.
Booklist Editors’ Choice Reference Source
Library Journal Best Database, “Best for High Schoolers” category
Library Journal Best Database, “Best Job Resource” category
“…covers a lot of ground…straightforward and powerful interface…Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center is a gold standard…”
“…recommend the thorough, user-friendly, really peerless Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center to libraries serving job-seekers of all ages. Indispensable for high-school, academic, and public libraries.”
Booklist, starred review
“…a cleanly formatted, easy-to-navigate database for career exploration and development…impressive…Highly Recommended.”
Library Media Connection, starred review
“…provides users with in-depth information…”
American Reference Books Annual
“…essential information and vital statistics…”
Library Media Connection
“Comprehensive and up to date…Searching is easy and the information is presented in a clear and organized framework…the most comprehensive and authoritative career database available for today’s students…it is a must-purchase for school library media centers.”
School Library Journal
“…convenient, user-friendly…Public libraries, academic institutions, and career counseling offices should find it especially useful with high school students, mainstream career changers, and other general users who wish to do preliminary career exploration.”
“…an effective and searchable fact-finding and career decision-making tool…well-organized…Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center is a well-designed resource that is useful for career research at any level. Highly recommended for high school, college, and special libraries serving career-counseling centers.”
“…an excellent resource for job seekers who need assistance with résumés, cover letters, and interviews.”
“There’s a wealth of information here…An impressive resource for high school, college, and public libraries.”
“…comprehensive…featur[es] a wide range of authoritative content that is easily accessible and well organized…presents information in a very straightforward manner…”
“Navigation of the uncluttered screens is straightforward, the writing is uniformly clear, and the breadth of coverage is unsurpassed. Depth of coverage for a career or vocational choice…is just about everything one could ask of a comprehensive career source…highly recommended…”
“…provides quick career guidance…Recommended.”