About This Product
Take a quick look at the overview video for Science Online:
With a wealth of content and a dynamic design that facilitates STEM research and learning, the award-winning Science Online offers a comprehensive overview of a broad range of scientific disciplines. Topic Centers feature specially selected content on core science disciplines to help students find a starting point for their research. Students can also access the full, updated content of our unique science eLearning Modules, which target a variety of core topics and feature valuable Teacher Support materials for seamless in-class integration.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Science Online contains a wealth of proprietary book and journal articles, images and videos, topic-specific timelines, tables and charts, and diagrams that provide a thorough grounding in all areas of the science curriculum.
- Topic Centers: Science Online includes specially selected content that composes a virtual study guide for the most researched scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, computer science, Earth science, environmental science, marine science, space and astronomy, and physics. Each Topic Center includes a series of editor-selected overview articles, suggested keyword searches, key videos and animations, printable experiments, diagrams, key tables and data, and a comprehensive topic timeline.
- eLearning Modules: Science Online features 10 science eLearning Modules—Biomes of the Earth, Cells, Energy and the Environment, Essential Chemistry, Genetics and Evolution, Global Warming, Green Technology, The Human Body: How It Works, Physics in Action, and The Plant World. eLearning Modules provide an in-depth exploration of a core science subject with extensive sequential articles in a narrative format, key videos and animations, diagrams and images, and glossaries. Teacher support materials—including learning objectives, discussion questions, assessment questions with answer keys, and student-based activities and projects—are also included.
- Videos and Animations: Videos and animations that reinforce visual learning, stimulate interest, and provide convenient overviews and discussion starters. Science Online includes more than 4,000 video clips, many specifically produced for Science Online and not available anywhere else. All videos include full-text transcripts that are searchable and display right below the video player. They also include a record URL, closed captions, and run times.
- Experiments, Activities, and Interactives: Science Online also features more than 1,600 science experiments and activities. These include downloadable, printable experiments in PDF format; interactive experiments that replicate the in-class laboratory experience in a safe and user-friendly environment; and self-paced learning objects consisting of animations, video clips, slideshows, images, and diagrams, along with activities that challenge and test students’ learning of the subject matter. Experiments are indexed and filterable by grade range, subject category, participation level, level of supervision, and time required. Great for science fairs!
- Biographies: Science Online includes helpful lists of leading computer scientists, astrophysicists, inventors, engineers, environmentalists, women scientists, astronauts, and mathematicians. Each list includes dates of birth and death, a brief descriptor of the person’s achievements, and a link to relevant search results.
- Science in the News: Science Online contains a selection of featured articles from the award-winning Today’s Science, highlighting recent scientific events and discoveries. Also included in search results are science-related news articles from Reuters®, covering current science developments within the past five years.
- Authoritative Source List: Science Online features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of expertly researched and written content in the database, including articles from a wealth of award-winning proprietary print titles, images, videos, timelines, and a list of contributors to the database—information researchers can trust.
- Resource Centers with extensive A-to-Z lists that can be filtered by topic
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- Curriculum tools and sources index
- Searchable timelines by subject and era, updated monthly
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Search by Common Core, state, national, International Baccalaureate Organization, College Board AP, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards to find correlating articles
- Conversion calculator
- Share content to Google Classroom
- Save content directly to Google Drive
- Single sign-on with Google or Microsoft
- Google Sign-In allows users to easily access content with their Google credentials
- A variety of integration options and partners, including Schoology, Canvas, itslearning, and D2L (Desire2Learn)
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, APA, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib and NoodleTools export functionality
- List of contributors to the database
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Search Assist technology
- Persistent record links
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.
The ComputED Gazette’s Education Software Review Award (EDDIES), “High School Science Website” category
The ComputED Gazette’s Best Educational Software Award (BESSIES), “High School Science Website” category
Library Journal Best Database, “Best for High Schoolers” category
eSchool News Readers’ Choice Award for Digital Reference Tools
W3 Silver Award
SIIA CODiE Award Finalist, “Best Education Reference or Search Service” category
Webby Award Official Honoree
“…love love love it! The eLearning Modules really makes this a complete package…the topics in the eLearning Modules are right on target. I think every Middle School in our County should have this.”
Rovina Salinas, Manager, Tech Curriculum Integration, Contra Costa County Office of Education
“Accessible and easy to use…an enormously valuable reference source…a comprehensive, authoritative overview of the sciences…An exceptional feature is the…printable science diagrams, many in full color…Students, teachers, and library media specialists will find Science Online‘s high-quality, clear presentation and extensive content suitable for teaching and learning. A top choice to support your school’s science program.”
School Library Journal
“…easily searchable…provides a wealth of science research and educational tools…Recommended.”
Library Media Connection
“The entries are colorful and easy to read…useful in a middle school or high school library or as a resource in any science classroom. Recommended.”
Library Media Connection
“Reliable curriculum-oriented information…a worthwhile resource. It is highly recommended for school and public libraries…”
“…accessible and easy to use and students are likely to find research on this site fun and even interesting. It is a good choice to support a school’s science program.”
American Reference Books Annual
“…those seeking ideas for science fair projects…will appreciate…Science Online.”
“…a refreshing solution to the problem of providing authentic and reliable information for students…an excellent tool that offers timely, accurate information taken from reliable sources in a variety of formats…The site design is attractive, adding an element of fun and interest to the research process…a valuable resource to supplement a school’s science program. Highly recommended.”
“This updated, easy-to-use database will be valuable for students, for teachers, and for general reference in both school and public libraries.”
“This database conveys the visual nature of science in a clear and easy-to-comprehend manner.”
Library Media Connection