Master Academic Video Collection
At Films On Demand, we know that content matters. Our video library has been assembled not just with a focus on volume, but also with a discerning eye for quality and relevance. It is the result of decades of careful curating with a single guiding principle: providing every academic department on campus with the most essential video titles for their field of study. Always on the cutting edge, Films On Demand‘s platform provides users with the content, tools, speed, and performance that today’s online experience demands.
- Quality – From Oscar, Emmy, and Peabody award-winning documentaries to A-list performances spanning the arts, we bring you the best of what’s out there.
- Breadth and Depth – We individually select titles from more than 800 international producers to bring a wide variety of the most relevant videos to suit the unique instructional needs of every subject.
- Performance – Our platform features an advanced technical infrastructure, a fully responsive interface, and a powerful search engine and browse functions, making it fast and easy to use 24/7 on any Internet-enabled device.
- Freshness – Our acquisition efforts are ongoing, and every day we add more to the collection.
- Exclusivity – More than half of our titles cannot be found with any other academic distributor, thanks to exclusive agreements with hundreds of producers from around the world.
- Top Producers – We work with the very best producers, including A&E, PBS, BBC Learning, National Geographic, ABC News, NBC News, CNBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, HBO Documentary Films, PBS NewsHour, Open University, Bill Moyers, California Newsreel, Annenberg Learner, TED, Films for the Humanities & Sciences, and more.
- Curriculum Mapping – Working with an advisory board of education professionals, our content staff has created a subject-matter taxonomy of more than 700 distinct areas of study within more than 26 core subject areas designed to mirror the academic curriculum. We take pride in vetting every title before including it in the collection, and we think carefully about how many places to cross-list each title in the taxonomy.
- A comprehensive, curriculum-focused video subscription providing unlimited access to thousands of videos
- Videos can be easily added to LibGuides, distance education courses, social media platforms, and learning management systems
- Public performance rights and no copyright infringement worries
- Add your institution’s custom video content to the Films On Demand platform
- A robust administrative portal with enhanced reporting features
- Stimulate and reinforce in-class lectures or introduce a new topic
- Encourage open discussion on key issues and topics
- Embed persistent and authenticated video clips into course management systems such as Blackboard, Moodle, D2L (Desire2Learn), and Canvas
- Create and share playlists using premade clips, full videos, or custom segments—a great way to engage students and perfect for off-hours viewing and distance learning
- Save favorite videos to a personal folder
- Add a personalized video introduction to any playlist you create to provide an overview or give context
- Find inspiration and material for research papers and presentations
- Captioning and interactive, searchable transcripts on all titles
- Keyword tags for all content, linking to related material
- Follow up on a clip used by a professor in class and watch the rest of the video
- Get citations for all videos in MLA, Chicago, Harvard, and APA formats, with up-to-date citation creation and export
- View videos anywhere, 24/7
- Share, save, and organize videos and playlists
- SIIA CODiE Awards Finalist, “Best Education Reference Solution” category
- Library Journal Best Databases Runner-Up, “Best in Media” category
- University Business Readers’ Choice Top Product
“Faculty love the user-friendly searching and broad subject coverage. It’s a must-have resource.”
Danette R. Pachtner, Librarian for Film, Video, and Digital Media, Duke University
“Faculty…love the breadth and depth, the quality of films, the professionalism of the films, and the ability to supplement their lectures and classroom experiences…A very firm thumbs up!”
Ann Horan, Campus Librarian, Westwood College – O’Hare Campus
“Films On Demand is the frontrunner in providing high-quality streaming educational video covering a broad range of subjects.”
The Charleston Advisor, Four-Star Review
“…the technology works flawlessly, and customer support is outstanding.”
Hazel Davis, Library Services Faculty Chair, Rio Salado College
“I love it more all the time!”
Trish Feeney, Media Resources Technician, Fleming College
“Access is easy…an outstanding value and highly recommended.”
“Faculty appreciate the wide variety of topics covered…as well as the advanced features…Films On Demand [is] an indispensable resource for our students and faculty.”
Elijah Scott, MA, MS, Director of Libraries, Georgia Highlands College
“Films On Demand is terrific…I am a big fan.”
Patty Loughrey, Adjunct Faculty, Westwood College–Anaheim Campus
“Faculty at my college absolutely love Films On Demand! I haven’t seen this much excitement about a resource in the 14 years I have been at the college. It’s a great product and we are extremely grateful…”
Julie Humphrey, Assistant Director for Reference and Technical Services, Durham Technical Community College Library
“Films On Demand was the crown jewel I was able to buy.”
Paul Kelsey, Head of Acquisitions, Sims Memorial Library, Southeastern Louisiana University
“Films On Demand proved itself as the most comprehensive collection, with an amazing user-friendly platform…continuous addition of new titles, superb playlist options, citation capability and much more…Films On Demand has offered our college the highest quality video for a superb viewing experience….The individualized playlists available through Films On Demand are incredible! I strongly recommend Films On Demand as your primary streaming source. You won’t be disappointed!!”
John P. DeCaro, B.A., M.Ed., MLS, Library Services, St. Clair College of Applied Arts & Technology
“This is a wonderful tool, more reliable than YouTube since true closed captioning is included in all videos. I’m using it all the time, and the plug-in will make integrating a snap now.”
Gary Enns, Professor of English, Cerro Coso Community College