Praise for the previous editions:
For the most information in one source, The World Almanac® remains the champion.”
— American Library Association
“…a powerhouse of statistics, facts, lists, and stories…It is hard to imagine a question you might have that is not covered by this reference.”
— American Reference Books Annual
“My #1 reference work for facts.”
—Will Shortz, The New York Times Crossword Editor
“…the most useful reference book known to modern man.”
— Los Angeles Times
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts is America’s top-selling reference book of all time, with more than 80 million copies sold. Published annually since 1868, this compendium of information is the authoritative source for all your entertainment, reference, and learning needs. Praised as a “treasure trove of political, economic, scientific and educational statistics and information” by The Wall Street Journal, The World Almanac® contains thousands of facts that are unavailable publicly elsewhere—in fact, it has been featured as a category on Jeopardy! and is routinely used as a go-to, all-encompassing guide for aspiring game show contestants. The 2011 edition of The World Almanac® and Book of Facts will answer all of your trivia questions—from history and sports to geography, pop culture, and much more.
- Time Capsule: The World Almanac® lists the 10 items that symbolize the year 2010, from the news (a 2010 Census form) and sports (a vuvuzela) to pop culture.
- Year in Sports: Coverage of every major sport, including, for the first time, Premiere League football and other international soccer coverage. With extra results and analysis from 2010’s World Cup soccer and Winter Olympic Games. Bonus World Series coverage includes play-by-play and game-by-game playoff action. 2010 Major League Baseball individual batting and pitching statistics give baseball junkies a jump-start on next year’s fantasy baseball draft. And the brand-new Greatest Sports Scandals feature gives The World Almanac®’s take on the most shameful moments in athletic history.
- Midterm Election Results: Interpret Washington’s shifting political climate with 2010 midterm election results.
- The World at a Glance: Fully revised and updated, this annual feature of The World Almanac® highlights surprising stats and curious facts that define the changing world today.
- The Year in Review: The World Almanac® takes a look back at 2010 while looking forward to 2011. As NASA prepares for its final space shuttle flight, a brand-new feature looks at future plans for space travel. Plus an overview of what the health-care reform legislation really contains and how it will impact the nation’s health care.
- Offbeat News Stories: The World Almanac® editors found some of the wackiest news stories of the year! Find out which nation spelled its name wrong on millions of its coins, and where to find Paul the Psychic Octopus (who picked the winner of every World Cup game in 2010) and many other “psychic” animals.
- 2010—Year in Pictures: Striking full-color images from around the world in 2010, covering news, pop culture, and sports. From the Haiti earthquake to the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, and Shaun White to Betty White, The World Almanac® captures the year’s best images in one place.
- U.S. Colleges and Universities: This feature compiles statistics on thousands of public and private U.S. colleges and universities—an indispensable tool for college-bound students and their families. Complete with student enrollment, tuition and fees, and other useful information on schools.
- Population Statistics for Cities over 10,000 People: A unique compilation of essential population statistics, area codes, and zip codes for thousands of places in the U.S.— newly revised and updated with the latest census data
- and much more.
- The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2011 Kit . Includes 1 hardcover and 20 paperback copies of The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2011, The World Almanac® 2011 Trivia Game, and Teacher Resources (ISBN: 978-1-60057-143-5. List price: $321.70. Pocket chart sold separately.)
- The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2011 10-pack Paperback Classroom Set (ISBN: 978-1-60057-138-1. List price: $129.90)
- The World Almanac® 2011 Trivia Game (ISBN: 978-1-60057-141-1. List price: $26.95. Pocket chart sold separately.)
- Pocket Chart for the Trivia Game (Item # CD-5609. List price: $21.99)
- Standing Order Plans for The World Almanac® and Book of Facts single-title hardcover edition or 10-pack paperback classroom set
- Teacher Resources (available for free at www.worldalmanac.com).
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2011
December 2010. ISBN: 978-1-60057-133-6. Hardcover. List price: $34.95
Black-and-white photographs. Three full-color inserts. Index.
The World Almanac®, an Infobase Learning Company.