Two brand-new modules have just been added to The World Almanac® for Kids:
History of Fashion
The new History of Fashion module provides an accessible and engaging means of understanding social history for the middle and high school student. By learning what people wore during iconic historical periods, students will better understand the world of society, work, leisure, and professional and family life. Information regarding available fabrics, dyes, and lifestyle constraints add depth to general history. Helpful hints for costume recreation are also included for classroom application or staging. This module includes extensive full-color photos and drawn illustrations, glossaries, Fun Facts articles, and Key People.
The time periods covered include:
- The Medieval World: Chapters include The World of the Middle Ages, What My Lady Wore, What the Lord of the Manor Wore, Knights and Soldiers, What the Common People Wore, and more.
- Elizabethan England: Chapters include The Elizabethan World; Women’s Wear at Court; Men’s Wear at Court; The Middle Classes and Professions; Countryfolk, Townsfolk, and Servants; Children; and more.
- Colonial America: Chapters include The First Settlers, Costume in the Colonies, The Colonies Prosper, Made in America, Military Uniforms, and Textiles.
- The American West: Chapters include Frontiersmen and Explorers; Travelers and Settlers; Native Americans; Soldiers and Militiamen; Cowboys; Outlaws, Lawmen, and Gunslingers; and more.
- The 1920s & 1930s: Chapters include New Clothes for a New Age; 1920s Casual and Day Wear; The Golden Age of Glamour; 1930s Day Wear, Sportswear, and Children’s Wear; and more.
- The 1950s & 1960s: Chapters include A New Era, Women’s Day Wear, Men’s Day Wear, Women’s Formal and Evening Dress, Work Wear and Uniforms, Completing the Look, and more.
- The 1980s & 1990s: Chapters include Dressing Up and Dressing Down, Style Icons, International Fashion Design, Sportswear and Leisure Wear, The Media and Celebrity Culture, and more.
Sound and Light
The new Sound and Light module is composed of five sections that make up the physics curriculum, covering these important principles:
- Sound & Light Waves: Chapters include Waves of Light, Waves of Sound; Frequency, Amplitude, and Wavelength; Types of Waves; Refraction, Interference, and Diffraction; and more.
- Light: Chapters include Properties of Light: Photons and Waves; The Electromagnetic Spectrum; Working with Light; Light Bulbs, Cathode Ray Tubes and LEDs; and more.
- Sound: Chapters include Properties of Sound, Working with Sound, Ultrasound and Infrasound, Seismology, and more.
- Light, Sound & Senses: Chapters include Our Senses, How the Eyes Sense Light, How the Ears Sense Sound and the Voice Produces Sound, Extending the Senses, and more.
- Light & Sound in the Universe: Chapters include What Is Out There?, Probing the Universe with Light, Echoes of the Big Bang, and a glossary.
Sound and Light includes full-color photos and drawn illustrations, Fun Facts articles, videos, and Key People to round out this exploration of a core topic in the science curriculum.
Click on the links below for more information about The World Almanac® for Kids: