About This Product
Comprehensive overviews of literary movements. Scholarly films on the evolution of the English language. Productions of major plays. Documentaries on the world’s most prominent writers. Instructional titles on the fundamentals of language. With more than 1,600 films, this collection covers the vast expanse of topics found in the English curriculum.
- Live from Shakespeare’s Globe – more than 30 hours of vibrant performances recently filmed live at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London. Productions include Henry V, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, Love’s Labour’s Lost, As You Like It, The Taming of the Shrew, and many more.
- The Royal Shakespeare Company’s acclaimed 2008 version of Hamlet, starring David Tennant (“the greatest Hamlet of his generation”) and Patrick Stewart.
- Contemporary film adaptations of Sophocles’s trilogy of Theban plays, including Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone—featuring classical British actors.
- The Story of English and Do You Speak American? – Robert MacNeil’s Emmy Award-winning nine-hour PBS series on linguistics, and its three-hour follow-up (a CINE Golden Eagle Award winner) that focuses on American English and its regional dialects.
- Harold Bloom: Critic in the Active Voice – the first-ever documentary on the far-reaching contributions to literary criticism by Yale University scholar Harold Bloom.
- The Great Greek Myths – ancient tales of love, sex, power, and betrayal are retold with a modern blend of animation and art in this dynamic 20-part series.
- Ten Great Writers of the Modern World – this timeless, CableACE Award-winning 11-part series blends superbly enacted drama with expert commentary and biography while spotlighting the principal works of ten icons of modern world literature.
- Romanticism: Imagining Freedom – Telly Award-winning program on the new ways of thinking and seeing that reshaped the humanities in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Communication Essentials – the popular four-part series by Films for the Humanities & Sciences, featuring critical skills for listening, writing, speaking, and reading.
- Exclusive documentaries on the world’s most influential authors, including Chinua Achebe, Alaa Al-Aswany, Isabel Allende, Jane Austen, Geoffrey Chaucer, Kate Chopin, Dante, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, Arthur Miller, Flannery O’Connor, Mary Shelley, Wislawa Szymborska, Mark Twain, John Updike, Alice Walker, August Wilson, and many others.
- English: The Standard Deviants® Core Curriculum – a straight-talking 10-part series on the fundamentals of grammar and usage.
- Fire & Ink: The Legacy of Latin American Literature – a Telly Award-winning 13-part series that guides viewers chronologically and thematically through the region’s varied genres and narrative styles, with commentary from an impressive array of scholars.
- The Adventure of English: 500 A.D. to 2000 A.D. – the highly acclaimed eight-hour series on how English became a global language.
All titles are segmented into short, pedagogical clips, ideal for intermittent use during classroom lectures. For classwork viewing, students can choose to watch an entire film without interruption. Titles within the collection are sorted across 37 distinct, browsable subject categories (e.g., 18th Century British & Irish Literature, Critical Perspectives in Theater, Mass Communication & Journalism, 19th Century World Literature), enabling refined searches for available titles in specific topic areas.
- Conveniently segmented for lecture and in-class use
- Unlimited access from any location—on campus or off
- More than 1,375 hours of educational videos, lectures, and documentaries from top producers
- Custom Content Upload Option
- Captions, interactive transcripts, citations, Google Translate, and more
- New videos added at no additional cost
- Easily embed videos into Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, or other CMS
- Tablet, mobile, PC & Mac friendly
- Create and share personalized playlists using segments from multiple videos
- Add a personalized video introduction to any playlist you create
- Keyword tags for all content, linking to related material