About This Product
With a fresh new look, enhanced functionality, and an improved user experience, Films On Demand‘s platform provides users with the content, tools, speed, and performance that today’s online experience demands. At Films On Demand, we know that content matters. Our video library has been assembled not just with a focus on volume, but also with a discerning eye for quality and relevance. It is the result of decades of careful curating with a single guiding principle: providing every academic department on campus with the most essential video titles for their field of study. Plus, Films On Demand titles have won numerous awards, including Peabody, CLIO, Telly, Emmy, CINE Golden Eagle Award, Video Librarian Best Documentary, FREDDIE Award, and many more!
- Quality – From Oscar, Emmy, and Peabody award-winning documentaries to A-list performances spanning the arts, we bring you the best of what’s out there.
- Breadth and Depth – We individually select titles from more than 800 international producers to bring a wide variety of the most relevant videos to suit the unique instructional needs of every subject.
- Performance – Our platform features an advanced technical infrastructure, a fully responsive and mobile-friendly interface, and a powerful search engine and browse functions, making it fast and easy to use 24/7 on any Internet-enabled device.
- Freshness – Our acquisition efforts are ongoing, and every day we add more to the collection.
- Intuitive, Curriculum-Based Organization – Working with an advisory board of education professionals, our content staff has created a subject-matter taxonomy of more than 700 distinct areas of study within more than 25 core subject areas designed to mirror the academic curriculum. We take pride in vetting every title before including it in the collection, and we think carefully about how many places to cross-list each title in the taxonomy. In addition, our high-interest content is organized into student-friendly, curated categories—including Biographies, Events in History, Great Artists, Staff Picks, Landmark Series, and more—that make videos easy to find and enjoy.
- Exceptional Educational Content – Films On Demand has content that will both educate and entertain students and researchers on a wide range of curricular subjects, including history, biology, business and economics, engineering, computer science, technical and trade skills, art and architecture, music and dance, philosophy and religion, geography, environmental science, anthropology, language and literature, mathematics, psychology, sociology, political science, and more.
- Exclusivity – More than half of our titles cannot be found with any other academic distributor, thanks to exclusive agreements with hundreds of producers from around the world.
- Top Producers – We work with the very best producers, including A&E, PBS, BBC Learning, National Geographic, ABC News, NBC News, CNBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, HBO Documentary Films, PBS NewsHour, Open University, Bill Moyers, California Newsreel, Annenberg Learner, TED, Films for the Humanities & Sciences, and more.
- A comprehensive, curriculum-focused video subscription providing unlimited access to thousands of videos
- Videos can be easily added to LibGuides, distance education courses, social media platforms, and learning management systems
- Public performance rights and no copyright infringement worries
- Build your own sliders and add your institution’s custom video content to the Films On Demand platform
- Comprehensive admin portal, with COUNTER 4.0 reporting and SUSHI exporting
- Uses HTTPS, a requirement for many new browser features, to help protect the security and privacy of our users
- Stimulate and reinforce in-class lectures or introduce a new topic
- Encourage open discussion on key issues and topics
- Embed persistent and authenticated video clips into course management systems such as Blackboard, Moodle, D2L (Desire2Learn), and Canvas
- Create and share playlists using premade clips, full videos, or custom segments—a great way to engage students and perfect for off-hours viewing and distance learning
- Save favorite videos to a personal folder
- Add a personalized video introduction to any playlist you create to provide an overview or give context
- Find inspiration and material for research papers and presentations
- Captioning and interactive, searchable transcripts on all titles
- Keyword tags for all content, linking to related material
- Featured series pages highlight popular and selected content
- Multiple search filters can be selected for more targeted results
- Follow up on a clip used by a professor in class and watch the rest of the video
- Get citations for all videos in MLA, Chicago, Harvard, and APA formats, with up-to-date citation creation and export
- View videos anywhere, 24/7
- Share, save, and organize videos and playlists
- Infinite scrolling
- Toggle to switch between Dark and Light modes
- Full language support with Google Translate on all descriptions, transcripts, and navigation
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat